!!!NEW!!! Running A Cake Business From Home
!!!NEW!!! Running A Cake Business From Home
2 PLACES LEFT
9:00am on 23/03/2020
5:00pm on 28/03/2020
Designed to provide you with the knowledge, expertise and confidence to start and run your own cake business!
Under the expert guidance of Nichola, a cordon bleu trained chef, Great Taste Award winner and owner of Cake Academy Wales, you will gain from first hand experience of the highs and lows of setting up your own cake business.
The aim of the course is to provide you with the confidence to chase your dream, the knowledge to make it a reality, and the business know-how to make the business successful.
Setting up a business can be a daunting experience With that in mind, this course has been specifically designed to provide you, not only with the culinary skills to create fantastic cakes , but also with a straight-forward guide of the legal requirements that are needed to protect both you, and your customers.
The course also provides you with an invaluable guide on the equipment that will separate you from the "home bakers"; guidance on how to price and advertise your products, as well as advice on working with Local Authority Health Inspectors and compliance with Health & Safety legislation.
During the course you will learn:
- Health and Safety considerations for the food industry set out by the Food Standards Authority.
- How to professionally bake, dress and present a variety of cakes including our Award winning Sponge and Chocolate cakes.
- How to make Italian meringue and American Butter-creams in a variety of flavours and correctly cover cakes and stack multiple layers.
- How to use Ganache to give professional sharp edges.
- How to correctly finish "Drip Cakes"
- How to make realistic sugar flowers
- How to stack, dress and deliver wedding cakes
- Professional cupcake piping and decoration skills.
- Legal considerations such as Public Liability Insurance, Business Insurances
- Website, eCommerce and social media guidance
- Registering with Local Authority Health Inspectors and HMRC
- Pricing and costing considerations
- Guidance on the correct equipment needed for a superior bake
- Answers to as many questions as you can think of!
Begin the day by with learning the Health and Safety requirements for working with food, the importance of hygiene and the rules for handling food in a kitchen, as well as how to prepare your premises for inspection by local authority Health Inspectors for food hygiene ratings .
We cover topics such as registering with HMRC, pros and cons of limited companies as well as providing detailed information on the various insurances needed for your business, such as public liability cover, where to get them and the costs involved.
In the afternoon, we move onto the practical side where you will learn the importance of preparation and measurements and efficient and logical preparation for the next day of baking.
Building on the preparation of day 1, you will start the day by baking both our award-winning chocolate and vanilla sponges and learning the professional techniques for splitting, levelling and finishing the cakes;
- How to bake our award-winning Chocolate cake
- How to bake our Madagascan Vanilla sponge cake
- How to adapt the sponge recipe to make many other flavours
- How to cut, and level cakes
- How to make our sumptuous buttercream for filling & covering your cake and adapt the buttercream recipe to make other delicious flavours
- How to layer and fill your cake
- Prepping sugar flowers
You will learn the various skills and techniques needed to create three of the most popular and stunning sugar flowers for all occasions. A vital skill for dressing wedding
You will learn how to make:
- Large vintage Rose
- Large open Magnolia
- Large delicate Peony
- How to work confidently with flower/ gum paste to create stunning edible flowers
- How to colour the paste to achieve tones such as pastel, vintage & romantic hues
- How to use sugar flower tools such as cutters, veiners and wires
- How to make realistic buds and elegant filler flowers
- How to dry flowers
- How to vein and assemble the petals
- How to dust flowers with colour to give that realistic look
Days 4 & 5
You will learn
- How to correctly split, level and fill your cakes correctly,
- How to crumb coat your cake from the previous day with buttercream for a professional finish
- How to ganache your cake to give professional sharp edges
- How to dowel and safely stack your cake
- How to beautifully arrange and safely attach the sugar flowers to the cake
- How to box and safely transport your cake
- How to dress and present your cakes
Day 6 , buttercream day!
A great way to finish the week is by playing with buttercream all day!Ideal for celebration and birthday cakes, you will learn;
- How to pipe ruffle petals,
- How to pipe a variety of different flowers including English Roses, Dave Austin Roses, Daisies; and Dahlias
- How to create an ombre finish on your cake
- The techniques and equipment needed to create buttercream stripes, swirls and rustic finishes to create contemporary en vouge cakes for your customers
*Please note* as this is a professional & intensive course, the class size will be limited to two ensuring that you will, irrespective of skill level you will have the opportunity to maximise your learning experience at a pace suitable for you. The skills learnt on this course require practice! This course will provide you with a solid foundation for you to continue to build upon. We recommend that you never stop learning and never stop trying to perfect your skills.
What do you need to bring?
All you need to bring is yourself (and a packed lunch if you wish) as all ingredients, equipment and tools, including an apron will be provided for you on the day.
Please bring a notepad and pen to take notes through the session.
There will also be a 30 min break for lunch. We are based in Neath town centre where you will find numerous cafes and places to eat. Complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits will be served during the class.
All students are offered a 10% discount on any purchases made from Cake Academy Wales during the day of class, as well as 10% off future classes booked on the day.
Payment & Cancellation:
Full payment is required at time of booking. Unfortunately, we cannot refund the course costs if you need to cancel your booking.
We reserve the right to cancel the class if we do not have the minimum required number of students booked. However, in the unlikely event that we must cancel a class, you will be offered a full refund or a transfer of your booking to another class of the same price.