Professional Diploma Course - 5 Days
Professional Diploma Course - 5 Days
2 PLACES LEFT
9:00am on 16/09/2019
5:00pm on 20/09/2019
Equipping you with the essential skills & knowledge for a career in the food industry.
This intensive 5-day course has been specially designed to provide you with the essential skills, knowledge and confidence needed for a career in the food industry.
Under the expert guidance of Nichola, a cordon bleu trained chef and Great Taste Award winner, you will learn professional skills and practical experience in baking, cake decoration, Sugar craft and pastry work and upon completion, achieve a Cake Academy Wales Diploma Certificate as well as achieving a Level 2 Hygiene Certificate in Catering, a legal requirement for all those working with food in the UK.
During the course you will learn:
- All Health and Safety considerations for the food industry and achieve a Level 2 Food Hygiene Certification set out by the Food Standards Authority.
- How to professionally bake, dress and present a variety of cakes including Sponge cakes, Chocolate cakes and Fruit Cakes.
- How to make Swiss meringue and American Buttercreams in a variety of flavours and correctly cover cakes and stack multiple layers
- How to use Ganache to give professional sharp edges
- Professional cupcake piping and decoration skills
- Professional techniques for Pastries
- Professional techniques for Desserts
Begin the day by with learning the Health and Safety requirements for working with food, the importance of hygiene and the rules for handling food in a professional kitchen.
In the afternoon you will learn the importance of preparation and measurements and efficient and logical preparation for the next day of baking.
Building on the preparation of day 1, you will start the day by baking both our award-winning chocolate and vanilla sponges and learning the professional techniques for splitting, levelling and finishing the cakes;
- How to bake our award-winning Chocolate cake
- How to bake our Madagascan Vanilla sponge cake
- How to adapt the sponge recipe to make many other flavours
- How to cut, and level cakes
- How to make our sumptuous buttercream for filling & covering your cake and adapt the buttercream recipe to make other delicious flavours
- How to layer and fill your cake
In the morning you will begin by baking a batch of cupcakes for the afternoon session. While these are cooling you will learn;
- How to crumb coat your cake from the previous day with buttercream for a professional finish
- How to ganache your cake to give professional sharp edges
- How to dress and present your cakes
- In the afternoon, using a variety of nozzles, you will then learn a variety of techniques and piping skills such as swirls, rosettes and flowers;
To finish the day, you will practice how to correctly cut, roll, and cover a fruit cake with fondant.
Days 4 & 5
Pastry and Desserts
During days 4 & 5 you will learn a host of skills and techniques that can be amended and adapted for many other desserts. Over the course of the 2 days you will learn how to make;
- Profiter Rolls
- French Meringues
- Chantilly Cream
- Variety of Cheese Cake flavours.
*Please note* as this is a professional & intensive course, the class size will be limited to four ensuring that you will, irrespective of skill level you will have the opportunity to maximise your learning experience at a pace suitable for you. The skills learnt on this course require practice! This course will provide you with a solid foundation for you to continue to build upon. We recommend that you never stop learning and never stop trying to perfect your skills.
What do you need to bring?
All you need to bring is yourself (and a packed lunch if you wish) as all ingredients, equipment and tools, including an apron will be provided for you on the day.
Please bring a notepad and pen to take notes through the session.
There will also be a 30 min break for lunch. We are based in Neath town centre where you will find numerous cafés and places to eat. Complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits will be served during the class.
All students are offered a 10% discount on any purchases made from Cake Academy Wales during the day of class, as well as 10% off future classes booked on the day.
Payment & Cancellation:
Full payment is required at time of booking. Unfortunately, we cannot refund the course costs if you need to cancel your booking.
We reserve the right to cancel the class if we do not have the minimum required number of students booked. However, in the unlikely event that we must cancel a class, you will be offered a full refund or a transfer of your booking to another class of the same price.